Tuesday, September 16, 2008

july

July 16, 2008 - Wednesday


the weight of the air


In the denotative
sense of the word,
the action
'to kill"
I have killed a man.

But what books don't say

your drugged out stupor
yelling
you were not ready to go
as I watched from the hall
accusations
to the vacant room

and the weight of the air
at the threshold
where I took a breath
but could not enter

and the drugs
as they left you
as I took them away

unable to speak
save
for your eyes
pleading.

I have seen
my father low,
sister falling,
mother going mad,
and in the denotative
sense of the word,
the action
'to kill"...

I weep for my brother.



July 11, 2008 - Friday


the way brothers do


Big Brother says,
"keep doing what you're doing
and you'll keep getting what you're getting."

Of course my verbal reply
was "six hours of amazing sex
with a lover I adore?" and a wicked smile.

He frowned
the way brothers do
knowing I knew better.

And all through frowns
and smiles
I was thinking,

'don't you think
I wish I weren't
some pup….too in awe of men.'



July 7, 2008 - Monday


poem for t.c.


nose soft
along his jaw
his ear
on his collar
faint scent
cigarettes
and pot

and on his tongue?
suckled I
faint again
cigarettes
and cherry beer

flesh
long and lean
I devoured

lovers few
and far between
but each
I never forget
too much
around me
to not recall

nights
of wonder
and how
I found me
in your arms



July 5, 2008 - Saturday


transient


I sold books today,
my desk last week
to buy gas (if that)
hopefully paint
so I can
rent my place

go to another
ghetto, one of youth
instead of hookers
cheaper, North
away from my city
my city
I mourned you
these last years anyway

books! words!
of others
my life blood
once
I consumed like
beer
chips
and salsa

another life

before
I came alive
before
I found my own words



July 4, 2008 - Friday


in the ghetto


In the ghetto
guns

are poppin' off

drunk
on meat and sauce
happy

we make
our own
fire in the sky

in the ghetto
in the ghetto

with my degree
and grad school
application



fireworks in the distance

Do you remember
that year atop the Texas Star

(oh we were
so young then)

and the fireworks
in the distance.

It wasn't all bad,
my husband;

it was just
the fireworks
were so far away

or perhaps
the manifestation
of my own desire.

If the latter
I am sorry

so sorry.

July 2, 2008 - Wednesday
strong
I was young
oh
a girl of twenty
maybe

and we
had been together
three years already

why that year?
I can't say

but I was crazy about you,

the receptacle of all my giving

my husband,
mate…

until the day I knew to leave.

Then suddenly
I was not so young
a woman
of almost thirty-four

who left
knowing

her desire
could be consuming

but willing
to face the world
alone,

strong.