Thursday, June 13, 2024

unraveling

One - You can’t rewind

I like to do things 

I’m good at

some while others

not so much but enjoy 

and if you do them better I

wish you well but let 

me have my joy

let me learn and do

in my way


Two - Mother was a dancer

I took classes in ballet 

but my ankles were weak

so that stopped; I learned 

guitar, cello, flute, piano 

I wasn’t a prodigy

practice was too loud 

so that stopped; each in turn

looking inward I learned 

to read no book was denied 

no music no film, so I 

consumed, lived my youth in 

my room in stories

in words humming

I read outside windows 

watching others, watching 

mother dance: wondered halls

between rooms of learners 

while she preened

in learning I excelled

something she couldn’t…

but that stopped 


Three -Little 15

It was a long time coming 

the exodus of the familial unit

since my birth I think 

one got love then two then 

by the time I came, 

I think they were all just

done: with freedom I 

floundered in the forging

too young too fast: now

unraveling