Wednesday, August 02, 2023

lingering too long

Slowing in a fast walking crowd, items in a window  caught my eye. Men’s suits, ties, all the things I was always buying for him. Sixteen years of my buying things for him. 

My fingers recalled the textures, my cheek recalled the crisp collar and fresh shaved scent under mild cologne. But those were the early years when he sought me out before we each left for our day, when he would call just to hear my voice.

But the early didn’t last for him like they did for me. And I found myself alone in a life overwhelming, drowning in the day-to-day of work, school, home…Robert…with no lifeline but the one manifest from sheer will. 

Perhaps I lingered too long, but for me, to love is to give, whole and complete. I doubt I’ll give like that again, buy those things for any man, much less linger.